- theater rental
- about us
- company log in
Joining The WorkShop: Artist Submissions
Would you like to become a member of the WorkShop?
WorkShop Theater Company accepts submissions of full-length plays from writers outside our company to augment the plays in development by our in-house playwrights.
Submission Guidelines (full-length plays only):
- In hardcopy form to: Attn: Literary Manager, WorkShop Theater Company, 312 West 36th Street, 4th Floor East, New York, NY 10018.
If you want your hardcopy script to be returned, you must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- In electronic form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The preferred format for an electronic submission is either PDF or Word for Windows.
For all submisstions:
- Make sure the script's cover page contains contact information for both email and snail mail.
- Enclose a brief synopsis of the play and a list of the cast of characters.
- Enclose a playwright resume and biography.
- WorkShop Theatre Company is not seeking and will not consider one-act plays.
- WorkShop Theater Company prefers plays with a strong narrative rather than more avant-garde work; your play can be as "out there" as you want, but our chances of being interested in it increase if it also tells a good story. Plays that discuss an issue (like an essay or dialectic) rather than explore the issue narratively, and plays that can be described as "mood pieces," "tone poems" or "about language" are by and large not what we're looking for. Scripts that tell a story in a bold, theatrical or non-linear way are welcome.
- Please, no plays with a running time longer than two and a half hours.
- Note that after your submission you may experience a wait of up to 6 months before you receive any feedback from the company.
Please note; WorkShop Theater Company is a membership company, and while we may arrange a reading of a play by a guest playwright, our actual development and production of a new play beyond that is reserved for (current and eventual) company members. Company members need to be available to support the company on-site throughout the year by living in or accessibly near the New York metropolitan area.
Writers/composers, please see our Musical Theater Wing page for information.
The WorkShop holds auditions on an occasional basis. If selected, you will be contacted prior to the next audition.
Please send your picture/resume to:
The WorkShop Theater Company
312 West 36th Street
Fourth Floor East
New York City 10018
Attn. Matt Walker, Casting Director
For more information, please contact Matt Walker, Casting Coordinator.
If interested in becoming a Director with the WorkShop, please contact Scott C. Sickles, Artistic Director.
If interested in becoming a Technical Artist/Design Member of the WorkShop, please contact Scott C. Sickles, Artistic Director.
Please fill out our online application.
Please contact Jessica Creane for information about available internships at the WorkShop.